When it comes to skincare, one of the most popular, basic and can’t-do-without products are moisturizers. Be it a face moisturizer or abody moisturizer
, they replenish moisture and hydration, making your skin soft, supple and healthy. Moisturizers are a must in any skincare routine of any skin type. It is only a matter of choosing the right type of moisturizer that will suit your skin type. At SSBeauty, our objective is not only to provide you with the best skincare products but also to decode every skincare step for you. So, whether your skin is dry, oily or combination, you are sure to get your perfect face moisturizer and body moisturizer here.
What are the benefits of moisturizers?
As the name suggests, the primary job of a moisturizer is to moisturize your skin to make it softer, more elastic, and keep it hydrated. But apart from that, it also provides other benefits such as:
- Prevent skin from drying
There are many environmental factors that could make your skin dry such as cold weather, hot weather, staying in an air-conditioned room or room with indoor heat and more. A good moisturizer helps fight this dryness by replacing lost moisture as well as preventing future loss.
- Helps slow down the appearance of aging signs
When your skin is well hydrated it appears younger. And the earlier you begin consistently moisturizing and hydrating your skin, the better you will be able to prevent fine lines and wrinkles in the future.
- Combats acne
You might wonder how it makes sense to add more moisture to skin that is already oily. But it actually helps, here’s how: When your skin gets dry, it sends a message to your glands to produce more oil. This excess oil production clogs your pores and causes breakouts. Therefore, keeping your skin properly hydrated will help prevent it from producing more oil than it needs.
- Calms sensitive skin
Skin is red and irritated? Or do you have dry, itchy patches? This is more common for those who have sensitive skin which needs special care. You should look for a moisturizer that has soothing ingredients such as aloe vera, chamomile, oatmeal and honey, among others.
- Reduces blemishes
Blemishes seem more noticeable when your skin is dry. On the other hand, moisturized skin is hydrated, supple and shiny and hence looks smooth. Thus, moisturizers help reduce the appearance of spots and blemishes to a certain extent.
Types of Face Moisturizers
Essentially, there are three types of face moisturizers
, namely humectants, emollients and occlusives. Depending on your skin type, you can go for any one of these. Here’s a brief description of each of these moisturizers and which skin types they best suit.
- Humectant moisturizers: These are designed to have moisture-drawing ingredients that are great for all skin types, especially for oily skin types. It helps draw water to the skin cells to keep it hydrated. It binds water to the skin to help retain it on the surface and absorbs very quickly as well. These are lightweight in consistency and mostly come in a gel formula.
- Emollient moisturizers: This type of face moisturizer is great for normal, dry, and combination skin types. The lipids and oils in the moisturizer fill in all the cracks of the skin, smoothing out the surface of your skin and repairing the skin’s barrier. Its consistency is creamy or as a light lotion.
- Occlusive moisturizers: These are intense moisture-sealers that suit mature, dehydrated and dry skin types. Occlusive moisturizers are thicker in consistency and block the evaporation of water, which is perfect for dry skin. The consistency is typically balmy or thick and creamy.
Frequently Asked Questions on Moisturizers
- What is the role of a moisturizer?
Moisturizers improve skin hydration and increase the retention of water content on the skin’s surface by directly providing water to the skin. It helps smoothen small skin bumps, provides a soothing protective film, and protects the skin outer layer from the elements. Using a moisturizer daily will help maintain your skin's moisture barrier and prevent environmental damage to your skin.
- What are the different moisturizers that one must include in a skincare routine?
Different types of moisturizers serve different purposes. Here are some of the must-haves:
- Face moisturizers or day creams – Meant specifically for day-time use, most of these contain SPF for sun protection. Try the Shiseido Essential Energy Hydrating Day Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 20 which provides intense hydration so skin is protected and ready for light makeup.
- Night Creams – Night-time face moisturizers are more emollient as they help rejuvenate the skin over the course of the night. Try the Elizabeth Arden Superstart Skin Renewal Booster which is designed to help restore the healthy look of the skin’s surface layer, fortifying its natural ability to repair and renew.
- BB & CC Creams – These are tinted creams that act as a moisturizer as well as provide a foundation-like base for a more natural look. You can opt for the Clinique iD Dramatically Different Moisturizing BB Gel as it delivers a sheer wash of color to naturally perfect and balance skin tone.
- Is moisturizer only used for dry skin?
While it might seem odd to use a moisturizer on skin that is already oily. However, it is a fact that every skin type needs to moisturize. Dermatologists believe that excess oil production that occurs in people with oily skin could actually be your skin's way of overcompensating for a lack of moisture.
Shopping on SSBeauty
Whatever type of moisturizer you’re looking for, SSBeauty is the ultimate online beauty store where you can grab skincare products at the best prices possible. We offer three modes of delivery – standard delivery, express delivery and pickup at the nearest store. We guarantee top-quality makeup products and amazing offers that will keep you coming back for more. You can also check out our blog section for detailed buying guides, editorial picks and the latest makeup trends. For makeup tutorials and other interactive how-to guides, head to our videos page.
M.A.C. Cosmetics| Smashbox | Estee Lauder |Clinique |Bobbi Brown |Colorbar |Lakme |Faces Canada |The Body Shop |SUGAR Cosmetics |Maybelline New York | Loreal Paris |Chambor
L'Oreal Paris Glycolic Bright Day Cream with SPF 17 | mCaffeine Naked & Raw Choco & Shea Body Butter for 72 Hrs Moisturization | Sugar Aquaholic Priming Moisturizer | Shiseido Men's Skin Empowering Cream | BiE Moongleam- Precious Gel Cream
Makeup Products | Skincare Products |Hair Products |Personal Care Products | Fragrances | Beauty & Hair Accessories|Mens Grooming Product|Natural Products| Home Body Beauty|Luxury Products
Cleansers & Exfoliators|Moisturizers|Toners & Mists|Eye Care Products|Body Care Products|Masks & Treatments|Sun Care Products|Kits & Combos
Face Moisturizers and Day Creams |Night Cream |Face Oils|BB and CC Creams